I'm a pretty low maintenance kinda gal, so when Pete (Pedro to his
friends) asked me what I wanted for Mothers Day, it was simple...a sleep in and coffee in bed. But he never listens to me, so instead he got cracking in the kitchen and I wasn't allowed to touch anything or help in any way. In fact, he is such a horrible husband that he made me sit in my pod chair swing and read my book!...divorce is on the horizon my friends........
Fast forward an hour or so, and I was presented with this amazing platter with the Piece De Resistance being a Grilled Crostini with
fresh Mozarella, Figs, crispy Serrano Ham and Rocket with a Balsamic Glaze. Pete knows how much I love Figs and they're in season right now.
Pete's really getting into the wine and food pairing and wanted to also make something that is going to match nicely with our 2015 Chaste Shiraz. He chose the combo of the delicate flavours of Mozarella with the Fig and crispy Serrano Ham because they all work perfectly with the delicious well rounded cherry, chocolate and berry characteristics in the Shiraz.
Grilled Crostini with Mozarella, Fig and Crispy Serrano Ham
1.Crostini or any kind of sour dough bread stick or small loaf
2. Mozarella Cheese
4. Serrano Ham or Proscuitto works fine also.
6. Balsamic Glaze
This recipe is just too easy. It's an impressive little dish with presentation flair but you dont have to be a whiz in the kitchen to make it up....
1. Slice bread and in a separate griddle pan (we use a grill pan because of the little char grill marks it makes on the bread..its a little bit fancy...) spray with olive oil and heat. Add the sliced bread and let it heat away checking the underside until it has the char grill lines, then turn over and repeat. Set aside.
2. In a pan quickly fry up your Serrano Ham or Proscuitto until it is crispy..keep an eye on it..it doesnt take long. Once crisp, remove and place on some paper towel to drain the fat.
2. Slice up your figs and mozzarella cheese.
3. Place your bread slices on a board. Assemble by adding your
layers. First, the Crispy Serrano, then Rocket, Mozzarella slice, Fig slice and finish with a drizzle of Balsamic Glaze!
Too easy and so delicious!
Pete added to the platter some Blistered Vine Tomatoes roasted in the oven for about 30 minutes on 180 degrees, Lamb Skewers with Mint and Yoghurt dressing on the side, some sliced meats, olives and we washed it down a glass of our Chaste Shiraz.
Thank you Pete for another delicious meal....and for also doing the washing up!
Cheers! Jen xxx